Derrick Randall - PF - South Kent - Paterson, NJ - RUTGERS

• 13 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Derrick Randall - PF - South Kent - Paterson, NJ - RUTGERS
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=99794

Sometimes it takes Randall, a junior forward from Paterson Catholic High School (N.J.), to warm up before something great happens on his end. But, once his head is submersed in the game, he can create good scoring opportunities for himself. Randall has strong fundamentals and finishes easy buckets without the pretty stuff. Randall has a very long, athletic body that provides a great frame for defense in transition and for protecting the paint in a regular half-court press. Randall has tons of potential, but has yet to reach the height of his high school ability.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=82510&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d82510%26season%3d2011

April, 2009: Derrick is long, athletic and quick off the floor and uses all of these tools to compensate for his current lack of body strength. With that being said, he still plays with tenacity and aggression around the basket and does a good job on both ends. Offensively he has very good hands and attacks the rim with authority. He sits well in the paint but because of the lack of body strength he struggles holding position. During the Boo Williams Tournament he showed a jump hook with either hand but needs extended work on it. Defensively Derrick is a shot blocking high-energy player. He plays with passion and tenacity on every possession and thinks every rebound is his. His length and quickness allow him to cover a lot of area on the backside. Improved strength will make him a major level lock.

February, 2009: Randall is a long and lean lefty with tons of upside. He is very thin and lacks strength but is very active and aggressive on both ends of the floor. Randall is athletic and finishes above the rim in transition and in the half court with clear paths to the rim. He is a terrific rebound on both ends especially on the offensive glass where he keeps the ball alive when he does not tip it in. He is an excellent shot blocker on the ball, coming from the weak side or running down a player with an advantage in transition. Randall needs to add strength in order to hold post position and finish through contact but he does a good job using his length to score. He is raw skill wise and needs to work on his back to the basket moves and perimeter skill package but he is a factor in games because he plays with urgency and passion. This young man is one to watch.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:48:18 PM by jumpinjohnny »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Derrick Randall - PF - Paterson Catholic - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/06/27/2009-hoop-group-hbc-metro-summer-showcase-day-one-rundown-2.aspx?

Derrick Randall '11, Paterson Catholic (NJ)
A long power forward standing about 6'7.5, Randall is a very intriguing prospect who has a chance to be very special one day. Right now he is still raw, but he does a good job of manning the low post on D. Derrick does run into problems with fouls though, as he tries to block most shots down there, so he is prone to body-to-body contact while a player is going up. There were a number of times that he was called for a foul in the paint, including back-to-back possessions where the opponent was awarded an and-one. Even when he does not block a shot, the rising junior does a nice job of altering attempts. Randall has a good frame, yet it is one that he can definitely add some bulk to.

gonzalo

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/06/29/hoop-group-hbc-summer-metro-showcase-player-reviews/

Derrick Randall, Paterson Catholic (2011): Randall, a solid big man, is adept at getting position and moves around well in the post, with or without the ball. He can finish well inside, with both hands. Randall has a strong body that he uses to score over inferior opponents. He does play solid defense, but he had a propensity to commit touch fouls that forced him to head to the bench with early foul trouble. As the lefty gets more disciplined, he will be very solid down low.

Randall told NBE Saturday he has St. John’s, DePaul, Providence, Villanova and Miami on his college list early in the process.

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/10/28/more-is8-recruiting-updates-from-playoff-action/

Derrick Randall, a 6-foot-8 junior at perennial New Jersey powerhouse Paterson Catholic, enjoyed his recent visit to St. John’s. Randall, also being recruited by Providence, St. Joe’s, Virginia Tech and others, was “surprised how big the campus was.”

“I just went up there for the day, I had to get back the next morning because I had school,” explained Randall, who took in the Johnnies’ midnight madness event, Stormfest. “The visit went well. I’m from Brooklyn, so it wasn’t that far from home, but I didn’t realize the campus was so big.”

Derrick Randall - PF - Patterson Catholic HS - Patterson, NJ
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:47:42 AM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1072912

Derrick Randall says he has offers from Rutgers, Seton Hal, St. John's, and Providence with more interest coming from St. Joe's and Virginia Tech.

HoopScoop #186
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:54:30 AM by peter »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Derrick Randall - PF - Patterson Catholic HS - Patterson, NJ
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
(made a slight adjustment to match the style of the other recruiting entries)

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
(made a slight adjustment to match the style of the other recruiting entries)
Although Mack and Hubert shined a little brighter for the Playaz, he, at least, battled against Amir Williams, an athletic 6'9-10" kid last night, in a loss.

jpm114 mentioned liking him a lot in another thread.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Derrick Randall '11 of Paterson Catholic (NJ) is an intimidating presence in the paint at a chiseled 6'8, 220-pounds. Numerous colleges are coming after the big man, but as of now Villanova is not one of them.

Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, St. Joseph's, and South Carolina are the schools recruiting Randall. He lists offers from the Hokies, Friars, Gamecocks, Hawks, and Pirates.

Randall, who is originally from New York, does not have any leaders in his recruitment at this point in time.

Asked what the situation with Villanova is, Randall replied, "I don't know. I haven't talked to any of the coaches lately, in a while, so I don't know if they still recruiting me or not."

He said that the Wildcats had been actively involved in his recruitment at one point, and also said that if Jay Wright and Co. were to get back in the mix he would indeed be open to the Big East program.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »
RedStormReport.com: Derrick Randall Interview

First team out of his mouth: St. John's.  Granted, Maurice W conducted a very St. John's - focused interview.  Also, Randall was invited to the Elite Camp but couldn't make it.  He was singing in the choir at graduation.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
Really like his game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:03:22 AM »
Local big man from Brooklyn. I would really like to see us land this guy.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/09/harkless-rules-out-uconn-jack-stars-at-hoop-group/

Derrick Randall ’11 - South Kent (CT) – Randall had a good week at Hoop Group Elite. It was a surprising delight to see him at camp after attending NBPA camp a few weeks before. He went to work early and dominated at points down low. While he is wide open on his schools right now, Derrick has a list of “Providence, Pittsburgh, St. John’s, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul, St. Joe’s, Virginia Tech.” One thing was clear about his recruitment, Rutgers may have the advantage. “I don’t have a top five right now, but if I did Rutgers would be in it,” stated Derrick. As of now, Derrick has plans to cut his list sometime in mid-July right around the Nike Peach Jam when he heads down with his New Jersey Playaz squad.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Derrick Randall - PF - South Kent - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/12/derrick-randall-close-to-pulling-the-trigger-desmond-hubert-myles-mack-updates/

Derrick Randall may pull the trigger before the summer ends.

The 6-foot-9 senior, 225-pound who will spend his final year at South Kent (Conn.) after competing at Paterson (N.J.) Catholic says Rutgers leads his list right now.

“I like Rutgers a lot,” Randall, a Brooklyn native, said at the Peach Jam after the Playaz beat California Supreme, 80-49, behind Kyle Anderson’s 17 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists, Myles Mack’s 16, Desmond Hubert’s 12 and Randall’s 7 points and 7 boards .

“I’m probably going to be making my decision in August deciding where I’m going to be committing to and then sign in the [fall].”
Randall is also considering Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh (if they offer), Marquette, St. John’s and Seton Hall, but Rutgers clearly has the edge.

“Yeah, I like the coach [Mike Rice] a lot. I like the coaching staff and it’s a real nice facility. I’ve been on the campus before,” he said.

“They said they are going to work me out to my highest potential and make me the best player I can be.”

Brian Randall, Derrick’s father who works for the MTA in New York, also enjoyed the recent Rutgers unofficial visit.

“He likes the campus. He likes all the majors you can take,” Derrick said. “I like computers, so they have a computer technology [major], so he likes it a lot.”

Randall also looks forward to playing in the ultra-competitive Big East.

“It’s one of the best conferences, tough completion,” Randall said.

Randall will prep next year at South Kent alongside fellow forwards Kadeem Jack and Maurice Harkless.

“[I want to] try to get a championship,” he said. “Work on my post moves and my dribbling and my shooting and hit the weight room.”

Re: Derrick Randall - PF - South Kent - Paterson, NJ - RUTGERS
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
To Rutgers

ttp://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/01/derrick-randall-makes-the-call/#more-37637